Selfishness is not a characteristic of Salvation
Apostle Tracey Robinson 2022 All Rights Reserved
• Is Salvation a selfish act designed by God for the spirit Man in the earth? Is God selfish?
• Am I a selfish person? Am I self-willed?
• Is selfishness a sin?
• If selfishness is not a characteristic of Salvation in a born again new creature then where does it come from?
• Are you a selfish believer? Has your old nature crept into your new nature unaware?
• Does ignorance make one selfish? Ignorant defined as lacking knowledge or awareness in general; spiritually uneducated.
• We are referring to ignorance in the knowledge of God through Christ.
• Are you a selfish new convert? A selfish new creature being transformed into what? A selfish leader? A selfish disciple?
• Selfish defined here (of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one’s (my) own personal profit or pleasure; self-centered; egotistical
• Self-willed defined as self-pleasing; denotes one who is dominated by self-interest and inconsiderate of others, arrogantly asserts his own will.
2 Peter 2:9-10 9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations (and trials), and to reserve the unjust (ungodly under chastisement) unto the day of judgment to be punished: 10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness (lust of polluting passion), and despise government (scorn and despise authority). Presumptuous are they, self-willed, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.
• All human beings born of a woman, are shaped in iniquity (wicked; evil; immoral or grossly unfair behavior), conceived in sin, and born in sin, with a sinful, serpentine nature due to the fall of Adam and Eve in the beginning.
• Human beings are selfish by nature; we look after ourselves; we protect ourselves; we get offended; and we are easily offended.
Philippians 2:21 For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ’s.
• Jesus Christ never displayed or portrayed a spirit of selfishness.
• Selfishness is a demonic, unclean spirit that is of the flesh incorporated by the nature of the devil.
• Jesus would always say that He does nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do that He does.
• When we say that the Lord is using us and given us the authority to use, then we turn and capitalize off of what the Spirit of the Lord is doing, is that the character of being selfish?
• Jesus’ works bear witness that the Father had sent Him and the Spirit of the Father will bear witness that He is with Jesus.
• So if the Spirit of the Word is abiding in you, will it testify that Christ Jesus is abiding in you? The scriptures will testify in you that Jesus is Lord. Only the Holy Ghost in you can and will testify that Jesus is Lord and has taken His abode in you to possess you.
• Many born again believers today are self-centered, concerned only for self. You can see it in their outward man.
• The Word of God treats selfishness as an aspect of sin and admonishes believers to care for others as well as themselves.
• Selfishness is a characteristic of a sinner.
• Selfishness is a characteristic of the sinful state of this world and its systems, societies, communities, families, even down to the rearing of the children.
• The world and its systems including the educational systems expressions of selfishness are greed, ambition, and boastfulness.
St Matthew 23:25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
Acts 5:3 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
Philippians 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
• Selfishness is a sin.
• What does that do to you when you’re told that you are selfish? Does that offend you?
• Selfishness criticizes the character of a believer and labels them as being immoral.
• Does doing only what you want to do make you selfish? Or doing the bare minimum, are you selfish?
• Being self-willed is the Will of Satan, and not the Will of Christ.
• Who is governing you and in whose authority? What authority governs you for being selfish in the things of God? How can you say God is using you and you’re selfish?
• Selfishness is clearly of the flesh!
• A selfish believer clearly is concerned with their own interests and comforts, influenced by their personal motives to the disregard of the welfare or wishes of others.
• Selfishness gives you a self-love for self.
• You can be as selfish as your heart desires, but it will never win for you!
• Selfishness is a spirit!
• Selfishness carries a reaping and sowing process!
Examples of selfishness in the Bible
• Cain and Abel are prime examples of selfishness, along with the spirit of jealously, arrogance (having and revealing an exaggerated sense of one’s own importance and abilities.), lying, and murder. When God asked Cain about his brothers whereabouts he lied to God not realizing or knowing that God is omnipotent (knowing all, seeing all, hearing all in His unlimited power and ability to do all things, etc.) Genesis 4.
• David’s selfish attitude caused him to seek the fulfillment of his own pleasures with another man’s wife that caused him to sin with Bathsheba. His selfishness led him to lying and murder, but God did not allow David’s sin to go unpunished. He sent the prophet Nathan to expose David’s sin and to announce God’s judgment upon him. David caused the death of an innocent man (Bathsheba’s husband, Uriah) all because of his desire for this man’s wife. 2 Samuel 11.
Philippians 2:4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
1 Corinthians 10:33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
• Selfishness hurts and causes emotional and physical pain; and God requires through His Word and expects us through His Word to show concern for each other.
To overcome selfishness as a born again new creature being transformed into the image of the Model Son Jesus. Here is the antidote:
• Recognize your need for self-control and that you are selfish in order to surrender your whole self to the Will of God.
• Hear the Word! Really hear the Word to hear Christ and be taught by Christ as all Truth is in Jesus (embodied and personified in Him).
• Let the Word of God replace “self” with the Spirit of God Himself. (Transformation)
• Learn how to handle an insult through, in, and by the truth.
• Take interest in others by not thinking so highly of self, but to think soberly according to the faith in Christ that works in you. Romans 12:3.
• Incline your heart to the testimonies of Christ Jesus and the Word of God. (New heart)
• Let your example of Christ Jesus be your example of God’s Will in your life. Christ Jesus did not please Himself and gave no thoughts to His own interests.
• Die to your old nature by faith knowing that your old man is crucified with Christ, and that your body of sin might be destroyed so that you/we should no longer serve sin. Romans 6:6.
Ephesians 4:22-24 KJV Amplified
22 Strip yourselves of your former nature (put off and discard your old unrenewed self) which characterized your previous manner of life and becomes corrupt through lusts and desires that spring from delusion.
• The devil gives delusion of the mind so that he can influence you to control you.
• A belief or altered reality that is persistently held despite evidence or agreement to the contrary, generally in reference to a mental disorder.
23 And be constantly renewed in the spirit of your mind (having a fresh mental and spiritual attitude),
24 And put on the new nature (the regenerate self) created in God’s image, (Godlike) in true righteousness and holiness.
• Serve one another in Spirit and in Truth.
• Don’t lie to one another because you have stripped off your old self with its evil practices. Colossians 3:9 KJV Amplified.
• Clothed you with the new spiritual self, which is always in the process of being renewed and remodeled into the fuller and more perfect knowledge after the image of Him who created us. Colossians 3:10 KJV Amplified.
• Serve one another in the gifts, your particular spiritual talent by employing it for one another as good trustees of God’s many-sided (manifold) grace of God granted to us by His unmerited favor. 1 Peter 4:10
• Most of all love one another according to the new commandment of Christ, His command.
• St John 13:34 say that we should love one another just as Jesus has loved us, so we too should love one another.
• Love your neighbor as you love yourself. St Matthew 22:39
• When we love one another we owe no man anything, and when we do this and practice this we have fulfilled all the requirements of the Law.
• Love does no wrong to one another (neighbor), it never hurts anybody. Therefore love meets all the requirements and is the fulfilling of the Law. Romans 13:8-10.
Romans 15:2-3 2 Let everyone of us please his neighbor for his good to edification. 3 For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me.
• We must learn to make it a practice to please our neighbor for his good and for his true welfare, to edify him, to strengthen him, and build him up spiritually.
• Where there is flesh, there is no love but lust
• Selfish believers are only concerned about their circle and its gains within. Winning souls is not a part of their circle.
• If your flesh is dead the devil doesn’t have a place to reside in you.
• The flesh needs sin to live! And selfishness is one of them!
• When the flesh is dead the enemy can no longer be heard. His voice is like a distant echo.
• The flesh can no longer have dominion over you when the Word of God abides and reigns.
• Selfishness is not a part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
• Selfishness is not a “fruit of the Spirit”.
• Selfishness gives a believer a “false pity”! They can talk about Jesus and His faith, but portray no action in their life that would demonstrate a real change of what they are testifying.
• Selfishness in a believer carries lip service, self-righteousness, dishonesty, show boating, pretense, being sanctimonious, etc.
• Selfish believers are used by the demons!
Wednesday, June 1, 2022